With all the significant changes occurring mid-life, we’re always on the lookout for what’s next. It only fits we pick out something adventurous—an exotic location in Spain? Count us in. The chosen destination, Mallorca, Spain, is a small island in the middle of the ocean with plenty of mountains and surrounding waters. It’s one of the biggest bicycle havens on earth. It’s a popular destination for elite cyclists, especially during the winter.
Women aren’t educated enough on the challenges of aging and health concerns. I’ve been cycling for over thirty years, and I highly recommend it. Listen as I share our experience on this beautiful island and the steps we took towards taking care of ourselves.
Let me give you a quick rundown of this episode:
- (3:45) Interview with the owner and proprietor of the hotel, Vivian Read, and how he came to build and improve Read’s facilities and interior
- (8:40) Why riding my bike is my favorite physical activity compared to other forms of exercise
- (9:41) Interview with Wiebe Moyes, a Trek Travel guide, and a brief discussion of bike types
- Overview of the bike trail and guidelines for the ride
- (14:43) The benefits of cycling and why it’s essential to ease into exercise
- Stepping out of your comfort zone—when trying out a new activity, the battle is between you and the thing you’re trying to set out to do
- Mindset is a game-changer, especially in the face of unexpected difficulties
- (22:31) Until recently, all studies on heart disease were conducted on men. Women must familiarize themselves with the symptoms given the different manifestations of a heart attack in both sexes
- (23:23) Managing your diet so as not to be too susceptible to chronic diseases
- (23:48) Our health is vital, particularly for aging women. I can’t emphasize fitness enough—doing regular physical activity, at least 3–5x a week, helps keeps the heart in good shape. The more fit we are, the more we’ll be able to get through any change or stressor in our lives.
It’s equally important to watch what we eat and incorporate foods such as fresh greens and locally grown and locally sourced veggies and meat into our diet. For support on the journey to good health, head to our membership site where we discuss proper nutrition, exercise, and the medical challenges we face as we age. And don’t forget to take this quiz to know your unique menopause slimming type.
Thank you for listening! I highly encourage you all to search for your next big adventure.